Recreation can be defined as the refreshment of one’s mind or body through activity that amuses or stimulates.
Researches and findings have shown that recreational activities have health or mental benefits and help in the development of psychological and social tendencies of individuals. It could be passive or active or a combination of the two. In passive activities, the individual has less of a role to play in the process of recreation but rather engages in it partially without any stress.
Here the individual is a beneficially of an activity that is performed by others. Examples of passive recreation include enjoying a song, watching aerobics, watching a football match in a stadium or reading. This form of recreation rejuvenates and relieves tension. On the other hand, if the individual plays a major role in the activity. Examples of active recreation include playing ping pong, bicycling, running, brisk walking and playing basketball with friends and relatives.
BENEFITS OF RECREATION
1. Active which involves physical activities makes an individual less prone to obesity.
2. Active activities are excellent for elevating the heart rate.
3. It also helps to boost the immune system. Researches show that positive changes in the immune system occur during moderate exercise.
4. It increases positive moods.
5. Recreation and leisure activities can help alleviate depression.
6. Rest, relaxation and revitalization through recreation are essential in managing stress in today’s busy and demanding world.
7. This type of activity is a medium in which participants can gain personal life satisfaction.
Take the work load off this holiday season and get involved in these activities, the health benefits are rewarding.