Diabetes is a chronic disorder (lifelong) disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. More simply stated diabetes keeps your body from properly utilizing the sugar obtained from the food. The normal process, food is broken down and formed into a simple sugar known as glucose that gives energy to the body. Ingested glucose when absorbed from the intestine into the blood resulted in the increase in blood glucose or simply known as blood sugar. Insulin helps the glucose to be used by the cell through the bloodstream. The role of insulin is to move glucose from the bloodstream into the muscle, fat, and liver cells, where it can be used as fuel. The pancreas is an organ that produces insulin but is insufficient for reducing blood glucose to normal.
There is no cure for diabetes. Treatment involves medicines, diet, and exercise to control blood sugar. Here are some natural treatments to prevent elevation of symptoms.
- Bitter Melon is world famous in treatment of diabetes. It contains polypeptide P, charantin and vicine that are the specific components to have blood glucose-lowering effects.
- Cumin shows significant reduction in blood glucose. It helps decrease body weight.
- Jambolan belongs to the species of cloves that help reduce blood sugar levels quickly and the best part is that it is virtually without any side effects.
- Cinnamon from the bark of a tree has been found to increase the conversion of glucose into energy.
- Fenugreek has been used as an anti-diabetic drug. The fenugreek seed powder has significantly reduces blood glucose levels.
- Green Tea affects blood sugar by enhancing the insulin action in the body.
- Chromium affects a number of receptors for insulin and helps insulin to take its duty.
- Garlic helps lower high blood sugar level and can also help in having a healthy blood circulation.