We all get a few knocks in life that affect our self esteem, or our estimate of ourselves. Sometimes a negative childhood also affects our self-esteem and we go through life carrying around this burden of negativity. What ever the reason, your self esteem has a huge affect on the quality of your life. It affects your relationships, your career, your friendships, your levels of achievement, happiness and self love.
Self esteem can fluctuate from the very low to the very high, or various levels in between. People with low opinions of themselves often show signs of this, ranging from some very obvious ones, to some not to obvious.
Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Do you suffer from mind- garbage? are you constantly putting yourself down? high lighting your faults?
- Do you place high standards of achievement / perfection on yourself? and then beat yourself up when you don’t achieve them?
- Are you needy? do have a huge need for approval, love, acceptance? Even if that means compromising yourself? your self-respect? your happiness?
- Do you under achieve at work? Is your earning power low? do you have a lot of debt?
- Do you expect and put up with low standards of conduct from your partner, children, colleagues and friends?
If you have answered yes to all or most of these questions, the chances are that your self-esteem could do with a bit of TLC. A few little tips and techniques could have that self-esteem strong and powerful than ever before. If you really want to feel good about yourself, more self love and appreciation and confidence, then self-esteem is the foundation that you need.
5 Steps to Increasing and Developing Self-Esteem and Self -Love
1. Your past does not equal your future.
What ever you picked up during your childhood or experiences, is not permanent or gospel. Make a commitment to yourself that from now on you will give yourself the love and respect that you deserve for simply being you.
2. write down a list of all your positive traits, qualities and things you have done for yourself and others.
Get it down and read it twice a day, ideally first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
3. Re-write negative experiences in your past.
Turn your painful experience into a growth experience, and find the lesson that grace had ready for you. Use that awful experience as a trigger for more self awareness,love, respect and a loving journey of self discovery and growth. Write you own story!
4. Stop all negative talk, and get out of a negative situations right away.
If you can’t get away, then create some distance while you get yourself together.
5. Look after yourself. Your health, your dress, your diet, get some exercise.
Give yourself the best of care. You deserve it simply for being you.
Once you have the basics under your wing, then it’s time to get your goals down and move in their direction. Take baby steps, and cut yourself some slack if things don’t work out as fast or in the way that you hoped for. Just look out for the lessons in every experience, be light and flexible and have fun!
Low self esteem does take time and commitment to move and shift, yet it will happen. You will soon see some wonderful changes in your life, people will respond to you different, but more importantly you will feel that incredible love and respect for yourself and you will never be the same person again.