Looking to improve your insulin sensitivity levels? If so, you need to pay attention to a few tips and tricks to help you get more from your nutrition plan and lifestyle. Insulin sensitivity is a key factor determining whether or not you are at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, so it is not something to take lightly.
Let us look at ten steps you can take to help you improve the way your body handles the carbohydrates you eat…
1. Eat Less Sugar. This may seem like the obvious answer but the more sugar you eat, the worse your insulin sensitivity will become. Start focusing on doing whatever you can to eliminate simple sugars from your diet and it will make a huge difference.
2. Feast On Omega-3 Fatty Acids. It is also critical you are getting sufficient omega-3 fatty acids in your eating plan.. This healthy fat will go a long way towards catapulting your insulin sensitivity in the right direction.
Salmon and walnuts are perfect sources.
3. Strength Training Regularly. Hoist the heavy weights if you hope to see optimal results. Strength training will boost insulin sensitivity and also help to increase your resting metabolic rate. Win-win!
4. Try Interval Training. Interval training is another important form of exercise you will want to add to your exercise plan. A good session of intervals will help…
- your body handle sugar better,
- use up sugar in the blood stream, and
- lead to an improved resting metabolic rate as well.
All ideal for those seeking weight control.
5. Consider Intermittent Fasting. If you are someone who often has to remember to eat, you might consider an intermittent fasting protocol. Even fasting for 12 hours a day (with 8 of those coming while you sleep), can help improve insulin sensitivity and reduce your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes or help you manage your symptoms better.
If you do have Type 2 diabetes, however, be sure to talk with your doctor beforehand. In some cases, fasting is not the best option.
6. Add Cinnamon To Your Meals. There is evidence cinnamon can be helpful in regulating blood sugar as cinnamon stimulates the production of glucose-burning enzymes and increases the effectiveness of insulin. So start sprinkling it on everything you can. Add it to…
- protein pancakes, and even
- on top of yogurt.
7. Get To Sleep On Time. It is time to start prioritizing sleep. Getting enough shut-eye each night will be critical for fending off insulin resistance and therefore Type 2 diabetes.
8. Stress Less. Feeling stressed? Do as much as you can to control it. Stress will cause the release of cortisol in the bloodstream, which can then cause issues with how your body handles the sugar you are consuming.
Plus, stress sets you up for all kinds of health woes, so it is not something to be messing with.
9. Pair Protein With Every Carbohydrate Source. Whenever you eat a carb, make sure you eat a protein immediately beforehand. Keep this as your golden rule. It is a must you are not consuming carbs alone as protein influences your blood sugar response by slowing down its absorption.
10. Shed Excess Weight. Finally, take steps to shed excess weight. Remember any extra fat you are carrying around can make your body more resistant to insulin, so doing all you can to eliminate this fat is important.
There you have the top ten tips to help boost your insulin sensitivity. Are you missing out on any of these?