Your bowl of instant noodles, cheeseburgers, pizzas, donuts and bacon for breakfast could be the reason why you are on the road to obesity | Photo credit: Pixabay
- PCOS is one of the most common causes of obesity in women
- According to the National Library of Medicine, 40-80% women with PCOS are overweight or obese
- The concept of stress eating has gained momentum, more so for the millennials
New Delhi: Obesity for a long time has been directly linked to overeating. People across ages and health profiles blame obesity on eating too much, however, as it turns out, this isn’t quite true. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, watching over calorie intake does not have much role to play in weight loss. Instead, there is another major reason to blame for the obesity epidemic – and that reason is increased consumption of convenient, packaged and processed foods. Be it instant noodles or sausages or bacon, there foods alter your body’s metabolism, change the way it processes and stores fat thereby resulting in obesity.
With that being said, take a look at the top five causes of obesity.
- Diet high in processed foods, refined carbohydrates and sugar: Your bowl of instant noodles, cheeseburgers, pizzas, donuts and bacon for breakfast could be the reason why you are on the road to obesity. These foods are high in saturated fats and even simple carbs in certain cases that breakdown easily into glucose, get stored in the bloodstream thereby forcing the pancreas to produce too much insulin which results in weight gain. Overtime, this cycle may result in obesity.
- Polcystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): PCOS is one of the most common causes of obesity in women. According to the National Library of Medicine, 40-80% women with PCOS are overweight or obese. This happens because of the condition’s impact on metabolic rate resulting in abnormalities and increased risk of both diabetes and obesity.
- Physical inactivity: A sedentary lifestyle plays a huge role when it comes to obesity. Calorie intake on one side, but if an individual does not engage in any physical activity, the body accumulates fat thereby resulting in obesity over time. Be it a desk job or back to back online classes, one must get up from the seat and walk around for a body to keep your body in motion and dodge risk of obesity.
- Genetics: Genes have a role to play when it comes to obesity as it defines how the body processes fats and stores them – much like how diabetes and PCOS can be genetic. An individual is at a higher risk of obesity when both parents are obese. Deficiency in hormones like leptin – that instruct the body to eat less when fat stores are high – can result in obesity over time. When the body does not get enough leptin, the balance is lost and obesity may dawn upon you over time.
- Stress and anxiety: The concept of stress eating has gained momentum, more so for the millennials. Emotions and mood swings often impact eating patterns – sugars, comfort foods and more – that may result in obesity over time. This can happen due to boredom as well. However, what makes stress eating a cause of concern is risk of eating disorders in a few cases.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.